We have always under estimated the importance of sleep in our hectic on the go lifestyles. It plays a vital role in general well being of the body and its performance.During sleep, our body is constantly working on maintaining a healthy brain function and physical fitness.Sleep deprivation can lead to higher risk of chronic health problems like high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. According to Harvard Medical School, for people with hypertension, one night without enough sleep can cause elevated blood pressure all through the next day. But this can be avoided, thanks to the advancing wearable technologies which have come to our rescue.
Personal sleep trackers can provide a fascinating insight into the mysterious third of your life you spend asleep. We’ve tracked down the very best in sleep technology which help you trace your sleeping pattern, quality of sleep and continuously monitor these parameters to make your mornings easier. These are the sleep trackers that made the cut:
The Fitbit Charge 2 is an interesting and fun hybrid of wearable tech. Part activity monitor, part sleep tracker and with some smart watch functions, it does a bit of everything.
The first, Sleep Stages, will utilize the optical heart-rate sensor to estimate how long you spend in light, deep and REM sleep cycles, as well as how frequently you wake up in the middle of the night. The second tool, known as Sleep Insights, will be available to all Fitbit trackers that are capable of tracking sleep. Sleep Insights will provide users with personalized guidance and coaching to help improve the quality of their sleep. An example of this would be your Fitbit noticing how you sleep 20 minutes longer on days you run, or pointing out that you sleep longer on the weekend, which could be a sign that you’re not getting enough sleep during the week. It has a decent battery life of up to 5 days depending on the user usage.It is available in the markets starting from $149 .You can view the technical specs here.
2. JAWBONE UP3
UP is not just an activity tracker—it’s a revolutionary, integrated system that incorporates advanced hardware, sophisticated algorithms and data science to better understand your behaviors and habits. Through an in-depth analysis of your eating, activity and sleep patterns, UP is able to intelligently help you make better choices and achieve your goals smarter and faster
The UP3 tracker uses bioimpedance sensors to automatically track your sleep and measure heart rate, respiration rate, body temperature, galvanic skin response as well as an accelerometer to detect four distinct stages of sleep: Wake, REM, Light and Deep.It sports a long battery life up to 7 days and comes at a starting price of $180. You can view the technical specs here.
The Shine 2 will also track sleep and will detect you dozing off automatically. It works well with a decent representation of light and deep sleep on an easy-to-read graphs. As sleep tracking goes the meagre data is hard to beat, and you won’t find better data over at Fitbit or Jawbone. It’s available $99.99 in the market.
- Automatically tracks steps, distance, calories, and light and restful sleep
- Vibration alerts for call and text notifications, movement reminders, and alarms
- Smart button enabled to control connected household devices
- Swim proof, anodized aluminum disc with multi-color LED progress display and time
- Non-charging, replaceable batteries last up to 6 months
This band sits somewhere between a fitness band and a smart watch but with comprehensive sensors that keep you posted on each of your daily activity. It sports a price tag of $249.
Key features include:
- Continuous optical heart rate monitor-Learn more about your overall fitness when you can track your heart rate at rest and at play, from day to night.
- Activity tracking-Reach your fitness goals with tailored tracking whether running, biking, golfing, or working out.
- Email, text, and calendar notifications-Preview emails and text messages, and get calendar notifications right on your wrist.
- Sleep quality tracking-Understand how your sleep affects your health. Find out how restorative your sleep is each night.
- Track calories burned-Track how many calories you burn day and night. Steps, exercise, and sleep all count toward your daily totals.
- Control your music from your band-Put your phone away and control your music from your band. See the song title and adjust the volume from music apps you use on your phone—they connect to your band through Bluetooth.
This device is a sleep inducer which helps people suffering with insomnia. It comes with a belt which can be strapped around the waist when you’re ready to go to bed. 2breathe uses personalized therapeutic breathing exercises to improve sleep. All you have to do is follow the guiding tones. Within minutes, neural sympathetic activity is reduced relaxing your mind & body toward sleep. 2breathe enables anyone to perform highly effective breathing exercises without prior training or conscious effort using patented real-time coaching technology.It is priced at approx 180$. Here is a visual depicting it’s working.
You will have to shell out some money to condition your sleep using these kind of wearable devices. Choose wisely!